Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Whispers in the Wind

FDSA has a saying "be the ripple"  it's right on the banner for the school.

 I have to tell you the students blow me away with the way they keep right on rippling and whispering and shouting from the tree tops. (The instructors are a pretty incredible group too rippling away; I am always humbled by my inclusion in that group).

I pretty actively promote good self care - I have truly come to believe that without self care you have nothing ..your well will run dry and so will your energy and spirit. So when students are having a tough time they KNOW they will hear - what have you done for you today?

Maybe it was doing laundry, maybe it was walking the dogs. Lunch with a friend, tears with family no matter what  - there should be something. I don't know what the answer will be but I push (sometimes pretty hard) for there to be something for you when things are hard.


One of my wonderful students decided that 10 minutes was all she could do - and it would work best for her to carve it out of a work break  so Self Care 10 was born.  The idea of just 10 minutes a day for HER. Listen to something, read something, watch something, put her head down and shut her eyes  - it didn't matter WHAT, just that it was.

Then she got "caught" at work and her boss asked her what she was doing. Bravely she explained Self Care 10 and discovered her boss loved it. And borrowed the idea!
Talk about a whisper ... what an awesome thing eh?


Ever grateful, ever awed by the amazing people I get to work with.

No comments: